Quick Facts of Sukanya Samridhi Yojana
- Rate of interest 8.6% Per Annam (year 2016-17), calculated on yearly basis (Yearly compounded).
- Account can be opened up to age of 10 years only from the date of birth.
- Minimum INR. 1000/-and Maximum INR. 1,50,000/- in a financial year.
- Partial withdrawal, maximum up to 50% of balance standing at the end of the preceding financial year can be taken after Account holder’s attaining age of 18 years.
- Account can be closed after completion of 21 years.
- If account is not closed after maturity, balance will continue to earn interest as specified for the scheme from time to time
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has Launched Sukanya Samridhi Yojana (girl child prosperity scheme) with the vision to provide for Girl Child Education and Her Marriage Expense. Sukanya Samriddhi Account Scheme is a small deposit scheme for girl child, as part of ‘Beti Bachao Beti Padhao’ campaign, which would fetch yearly interest rate of 8.6 per cent and provide Income Tax Deduction under section 80C of the Income Tax Act, 1961.
Objective: To promote the welfare of Girl Child.
Who can open the account: A natural/ legal guardian can open account in the name of the girl child from the birth of the girl child till she attains the age of ten years.
Maximum number of accounts: Upto two girl children or three in case of twin girls as second birth or the first birth itself results in three girl children.
Minimum and Maximum Amount of Deposit: Min.1000 of initial deposit with multiple of one hundred rupees thereafter with annual ceiling of Rs.150000 in a financial year.
Tenure of the Deposit: 21 years from the date of opening of the account.
Maximum period upto which deposits can be made: 14 years from the date of opening of the account.
Interest on Deposit: The interest is paid as per the rate declared by Government of India from time to time. Present rate of interest is 8.60% w.e.f 01.04.2016 to 30.06.2016.
Tax Rebate: As applicable under section 80C of the IT Act, 1961.
Premature Closure: Allowed in the event of death of the depositor or in cases of extreme compassionate grounds such as medical support in life threatening diseases to be authorized by an order by the Central Government.
Irregular Payment/ Revival of account: By payment of penalty of Rs.50 per year along with the minimum specified amount per year.
Mode of Deposit: Cash/Cheque/ Demand Draft
Withdrawal : 50% of the balance lying in the account as at the end of previous financial year for the purpose of higher education, marriage after attaining the age of 18 years.